Dr. E. de Brabandere
- Associate Professor of Public International Law
- International Dispute Settlement / Arbitration
- Public International Law
- International Investment Law
|Telephone number:||+31 (0)70 800 9044|
|Faculty / Department:||Faculteit Rechtsgeleerdheid, Instituut voor Publiekrecht, Internationaal Publiekrecht|
2511 DP Den Haag
Room number 4.46
Eric De Brabandere is Associate Professor of International Law at Leiden University’s Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies. He is also an Attorney-at-Law at the Brussels Bar practicing in international law and arbitration with lawfirm , Editor-in-Chief of the Leiden Journal of International Law, a member of the Board of Editors of the Journal of World Investment & Trade and the Revue belge de droit international (Belgian Review of International Law), and Series Editor in the Martinus Nijhoff Investment Law Book Series.
Eric De Brabandere holds a law degree cum laude from Ghent University and a Diplôme d’Etudes Approfondies en Droit International Public (LL.M. equivalent) from the University of Geneva. He obtained a doctorate in law (PhD) at Ghent University.
He is a general international lawyer, with special expertise in international investment law and arbitration, and international dispute settlement. He is the author of several publications, including the books ‘Investment Treaty Arbitration as Public International Law. Procedural Aspects and Implications (CUP, 2014), ‘Foreign Investment in the Energy Sector. Balancing Private and Public Interests (edited with T. Gazzini) (Martinus Nijhoff, 2014), ‘Investment Law. The Sources of Rights and Obligations’ (edited with T. Gazzini) (Martinus Nijhoff, 2012), and Post-conflict Administrations in International Law (Martinus Nijhoff, 2009), and several book chapters and articles in international law journals.
At Leiden University, Eric De Brabandere teaches the courses International Dispute Settlement in the Regular and Advanced Master Programs in Public International Law, and the course International Economic Law and Sustainable Development (with Professor Nico Schijver) in de Advanced Master Public International Law.
Click here for the SSRN Author Page.
- Investment Treaty Arbitration as Public International Law. Procedural Aspects and Implications (CUP, 2014)
- Foreign investment in the energy sector: Balancing private and public interests (edited with T. Gazzini) (Martinus Nijhoff, 2014)
- International Investment Law. Sources of Rights and Obligations (edited with T. Gazzini) (Martinus Nijhoff, 2012)
- Post-conflict Administrations in International Law. International Territorial Administration, Transitional Authority and Foreign Occupation in Theory and Practice (Martinus Nijhoff, 2009)
- ‘Complementarity or Conflict? Contrasting the Yukos-case before the European Court of Human Rights and Investment Tribunals’, 30(2) ICSID Review – Foreign Investment Law Journal (2015)
- ‘Jus Post Bellum and Foreign Direct Investment – Mapping the Debate’, 16 Journal of World Investment and Trade (2015)
- ‘Belgian Courts and the Immunity of International Organizations’, 10(2) International Organizations Law Review (2013)
- ‘The Future of International Legal Scholarship : Some Thoughts on ‘Practice’, ‘Growth’, and ‘Dissemination’’ (with Carsten Stahn), 27(1) Leiden Journal of International Law (2014)
- ‘Third-Party Funding in International Investment Arbitration’ (with J. Lepeltak), 27(2) ICSID Review – Foreign Investment Law Journal (2012)
- ‘Good Faith, Abuse of Process, and the Initiation of Investment Treaty Claims’, 3(3) Journal of International Dispute Settlement (2012)
- ‘Individuals in Advisory Proceedings before the International Court of Justice: Equality of the Parties and the Court’s Discretionary Authority’, 11(2) The Law and Practice of International Courts and Tribunals (2012)
- ‘The ICSID Rule on Early Dismissal of Unmeritorious Investment Treaty Claims: Preserving the Integrity of ICSID Arbitration’, 9(1) Manchester Journal of International Economic Law (2012)
- ‘P.R.I.M.E. Finance: The Role and Function of the New Arbitral Institution’, 16(3) ASIL Insights (2012)
- ‘NGOs and the ‘Public Interest’:The Legality and Rationale of Amicus Curiae Interventions in International Economic and Investment Disputes’, 12 Chicago Journal of International Law (2011)
- ‘Legitimacy of Origin v. Legitimacy of Exercise: The Complementary Faces of Legitimacy in International Law’, (with J. d’Aspremont), 43 Fordham International Law Journal (2011)
- ‘The Responsibility for Post-Conflict Reforms: A Critical Assessment of Jus Post Bellum as a Legal Concept’, 43 Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law (2010)
- “Good Faith in Treaty Interpretation” (with Isabelle Van Damme), in A. Mitchell, M. Sornarajah and T. Voon (eds), Good Faith in International Law: Trade and Investment Implications (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015)
- “The Settlement of Investment Disputes in the Energy Sector” in Eric De Brabandere and Tarcisio Gazzini, Foreign investment in the energy sector: Balancing private and public interests (Leiden/Boston: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2014), pp. 130-168.
- “The Concept of Jus Post Bellum in International Law: A Normative Critique”, in C. Stahn, J. Iverson and J. Easterday, ‘Jus Post Bellum’: Mapping the Normative Foundations (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014), pp. 123-141.
- “Co-existence and Conflict: Interaction between Preferential Trade and Investment Agreements and the BIT World”, in Rainer Hofmann, Christian Tams and Stephan Schill, Preferential Trade and Investment Agreements: A New Ordering Paradigm for International Investment Relations? (Baden-Baden: Nomos Publishers, 2013) (forthcoming)
- “The Impact of ‘Supranationalism’ on State Sovereignty from the Perspective of the Legitimacy of International Organisations’ in Duncan French (ed.), Statehood and Self-Determination: Reconciling Tradition and Modernity in International Law (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013), pp. 450-470.
- “Human Rights Considerations in International Investment Arbitration”, in M. Fitzmaurice and P. Merkouris (eds.), The Interpretation and Application of the European Convention of Human Rights: Legal and Practical Implications(Boston/Leiden: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2012).
- “La doctrine en tant que source de droit à l’OMC”, in V. Tomkiewicz, T. Garcia and D. Pavot (ed.), Les sources et les normes dans le droit de l’OMC (Paris : Pedone, 2012), pp. 209-221. (translation : "Legal Writings as a Source of Law at the WTO")
- “Judicial and Arbitral Decisions as a Source of Rights and Obligations” in T. Gazzini and E. De Brabandere, International Investment Law. Sources of Rights and Obligations(Leiden/Boston: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2012).
- “Immunity as a Guarantee for Institutional Autonomy: A Functional Perspective on UN Immunity in Post-conflict Situations”, in N. White and R. Collins, International Organisations and the Idea of Autonomy (Abingdon: Routledge, 2011), pp. 278-296.
- “Pragmatism in International Law: Non-State Actors and International Dispute Settlement”, in J. d’Aspremont (ed.), Participants in the International Legal System: Multiple Perspectives on Non-State Actors in International Law (Abingdon: Routledge, 2011), pp. 342-359. ·
Published Conference Papers
Advocaat Of Counsel
Leiden Journal of International Law (LJIL):
Journal of World Investment and Trade (JWIT):
Member of the Board of Editors
Revue Belge de Droit International (RBDI):
Member of the Board of Editors
Nijhoff International Investment Law Series: